YOU need a Holiday!
The majority of us don’t need to have it explained to us. We understand the benefits of having a holiday. We LOVE holidays. But many of us do need convincing when it comes to prioritising our time to make a holiday happen.
Repeat after me - You are not indespensable. If you did happen to fall off the face of the earth tomorrow, your job could and would be managed by someone else. So why is it we all feel like we can’t take leave???
You just need to manage your time so your work can manage without you.
Some jobs do require you to be on board over the Christmas/New Year or on certain dates eg. for Board meetings etc so you will need to work around this and plan your holidays accordingly. But the majority of us can go and take time off.
Need more convincing? Holidays help you to live longer. A Survey by the State University of New York found that men who took annual holidays reduced their risk of death by 20%. That’s a bonus.
We screened our staff here at Nexthire and here is their shortlist of benefits of taking regular holidays:
- There’s a whole other world out there besides your day to day.On holidays you get to think of and experience other things
- You can take time to set goals. Whether it be long term or short term, holidays give you time to think about it.
- Rest & recuperate. You get to sleep in and not be woken by an alarm clock.
- Revitalise your relationships. A break from colleagues is healthy. Time with loved ones is vital.
- Holidays are a great time to read. Fast Company has compiled this list of best books of 2012 to help you find fulfillment, get productive and create healthy habits. Or if you you’d rather just relax with a book, here’s Reading’s Summer Reading Guide to whet your appetite.
We could list more but that’s not the point of a shortlist.
So are you going to be one of the 58% of people that work during the Christmas/New Year break to catch up on unfinished business? (Source:Vecci) Or are you actually going to switch off and take a break?
If you are going to take a break, here’s some of the best things to enjoy about summer – cricket, Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, Australian Open Tennis, outdoor cinemas, twilight BBQs with friends, Fish & Chips on the beach and one of my favourites, the feeling of exhilaration as you dive under your first wave at the beach.